Friday, May 15, 2009

Fake of the Week (No Pun Intended)

At a press conference on Tuesday, Donald Trump announced that Carrie Prejean would retain her crown as Miss California USA despite her response to a question regarding gay marriage at the Miss USA Pageant in April. Addressing the criticism she received since the pageant, Prejean stated during her speech that "I would like to thank God for trusting me with this large task and giving me the strength to stand by my beliefs".

Yes, your beliefs. I am sure that God shares your belief in (1) posing for multiple topless photographs and (2) getting breast implants. (By the way, Prejean actually approached officials from the Miss California Pageant weeks before the Miss USA competition and requested that the organization pay for her implants, which they shockingly proceeded to do.) And if you forgot the answer that Prejean provided to judge Perez Hilton's question concerning gay marriage, here is her reply: "Well, I think it's great that Americans are able to choose one or the other. We live in a land that you can choose same sex marriage or opposite marriage. And you know what? In my country and in my family, I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman. No offense to anybody out there but that's how I was raised and that's how I think that it should be, between a man and a woman."

During that same Tuesday press conference, Prejean also remarked that "I am proud to be an American. I'm proud of the freedoms we enjoy because of the brave men and women serving this great country and who have served." These freedoms include the ability to exercise your freedom of speech (as Prejean did during the Miss USA pageant) but apparently not the ability to marry individuals of the same sex. (Does anyone else see the hypocrisy in what comes out of this nitwit's mouth?) Following her controversial response at the pageant, Prejan attempted to defend herself through numerous interviews. When she spoke with journalist Rex Wockner one week after the pageant, Prejean delivered these wonderful comments:

Considering all of the criticism that Prejean received following the pageant and her subsequent remarks in support of homosexuality, I am amazed by the fact that very little attention was devoted to the comments from Keith Lewis. Lewis, a State Director for the Miss California Organization, released this statement: "Given the fact that Carrie Prejean's first act upon returning to California was to headline five services at a church that promotes homosexuality as both unnatural and abnormal, we stand by our concern for her individual image and look forward to a time in the near future when she can put down her personal agenda and assume the responsibilities associated with being Miss California USA, including promoting our official platform, 'The Beauty of California,' which sole purpose is to embrace diversity."

1 comment:

Susan Mitchell said...

Good article - I cannot begin to tell you how badly this chick annoys me.