Saturday, December 27, 2008

Top 10 Quotes from Our President

The following is a list of the best quotes from President-elect Barack Obama in 2008:

Top 5 Inspirational

5. "I was never the likeliest candidate for this office. We didn't start with much money or many endorsements. Our campaign was not hatched in the halls of Washington -- it began in the backyards of Des Moines and the living rooms of Concord and the front porches of Charleston." -- During his acceptance speech on election night in November

4. "It's been a long time coming but tonight, because of what we did on this day, in this election, at this defining moment, change has come to America." -- During his acceptance speech in November

3. "If there is anyone out there who still doubts that America is a place where all things are possible, who still wonders if the dream of our founders is alive in our time, who still questions the power of our democracy, tonight is your answer." -- During his acceptance speech in November

2. "This is our moment. This is our time -- to put our people back to work and open doors of opportunity for our kids, to restore prosperity and promote the cause of peace, to reclaim the American dream and re-affirm that fundamental truth -- that out of many, we are one; that while we breathe, we hope and, where we are met with cynicism and doubt and those who tell us that we can't, we will respond with that timeless creed that sums up the spirit of a people: 'Yes, We Can'." -- During his acceptance speech in November

1. "We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek. We are the hope of those boys who have little, who've been told that they cannot have what they dream, that they cannot be what they imagine." -- In his speech following his successful Super Tuesday in February

Top 5 Critical/Humorous

5. "Now [John McCain] tells us that he’s the one who’s gonna take on the old boys' network. In the McCain campaign, that’s called a staff meeting." -- At a campaign stop in Nevada in September

4. "You can put lipstick on a pig but it’s still a pig." -- Referring to the policies of John McCain and Sarah Palin at a campaign stop in Virginia in September

3. "In just a few short months, the Republican Party will arrive in St. Paul with a very different agenda. They will come here to nominate John McCain, a man who has served this country heroically. I honor that service and I respect his many accomplishments, even if he chooses to deny mine." -- On the final night of Democratic primaries in June 2008

2. "You notice that people who’ve been in Washington too long, they don’t talk like ordinary folks. We had this debate in Las Vegas and somebody asked me, 'What are your weaknesses?'. So I said, 'Well, you know, I don’t keep track of paper that well, I’m always losing paper, my desk is a mess'. And then they asked the next two candidates. And one candidate says, 'Well, my biggest weakness is I’m just so passionate about helping poor people'. And then the other one says, 'I’m just so impatient to help the American people solve their problems'. So then I realize, well, I wish I’d gone last and then I would have known. I’m stupid that way -- I thought that when they asked what your biggest weakness was, they asked what your biggest weakness was. And now I know that my biggest weakness is I like to help old ladies across the street." -- At a campaign stop in South Carolina in January

1. "Americans have a big choice to make and, if anybody feels like they don't know me by now, let me try to give you some answers. Who is Barack Obama? Contrary to the rumors you have heard, I was not born in a manger. I was actually born on Krypton and sent here by my father Jorel to save the Planet Earth. Many of you -- many of you know that I got my name, Barack, from my father. What you may not know is Barack is actually Swahili for 'That One'. And I got my middle name from somebody who obviously didn't think I'd ever run for President." -- During his comedic speech at the Alfred E. Smith Memorial Foundation Dinner in October

No comments: