Thursday, December 18, 2008

Strange Bedfellows

I will be the first to admit that I willingly and enthusiastically worship at the altar of Obama. I also openly praise his willingness to open his Cabinet to his opponents from the presidential race, including Hilary Clinton and Bill Richardson, and retain Robert Gates as his Secretary of Defense. However, I am somewhat bewildered by President-elect Barack Obama's decision to select Richard Warren to deliver the invocation at Obama's inauguration ceremony next month.

Author of "The Purpose Driven Life", Warren is also the founder and senior pastor of the Saddleback Church, an Evangelical Christian megachurch in Lake Forest, CA. The church's weekly attendance of more than 23,000 makes it the fourth largest church in the United States. And although Warren has taken a stance against torture and global warming and promoted AIDS awareness, there are some other areas in his background which make me scratch my head:

I would just like to comment on Warren's quote regarding gay marriage. I am utterly amazed by how, when conservatives speak about this topic, they ultimately end up comparing a perfectly harmless arrangement to incest, pedophilia, polygamy, bestiality, etc. However, while they continue to denigrate homosexuals with these associations, these same bigots never seem to complain when homosexuals put their lives in danger as firefighters, police officers or members of the military; treat the sick and dying as doctors and nurses and teach our nation's children as teachers and professors.

No comments: