Monday, September 15, 2008

Token Female Vice Presidential Candidate of the Week

In last week's interview with Charles Gibson, the anchor of "World News" on ABC, Gov. Sarah Palin put her shortcomings on full display for the American public to see. The following is just a partial list of her greatest hits, as well as some of my comments:

Palin: "Let me tell you what I did here in the city of Wasilla and then as Governor of Alaska. What I did as a city council member then, and then as mayor, was come in and we cut personal property taxes in Wasilla. We cut small business inventory taxes."
Gibson: "You raised the sales tax."
Palin: "No, well, we had a two percent sales tax. And when people came to local government and said, 'We want a sports arena here', I said, 'That’s fine, and I want a sports arena also, but we’re going to have to pay for it'."
Gibson: "I didn’t want to get off into Wasilla but you came into the city with a debt free city and left it with considerable millions of dollars of debt, didn’t you?"
Palin: "A $13 million sports arena that we bonded for but, see, we put government on the side of the people by asking them if that’s what they wanted. It was a question on the ballot and they got to vote yes or no. So that’s what we did."
The Harrowdown Hill: Check "yes" for a sports arena and a debt riddled town or "no" for intelligent government spending.

Gibson: "When I asked John McCain about your national security credentials, he cited the fact that you have commanded the Alaskan National Guard and that Alaska is close to Russia. Are those sufficient credentials?"
Palin: "But it is about reform of government and it's about putting government back on the side of the people and that has much to do with foreign policy and national security issues."
The Harrowdown Hill: Huh?

Gibson: "You said recently in your old church, 'Our national leaders are sending U.S. soldiers on a task that is from God'. Are we fighting a holy war?"
Palin: "You know, I don't know if that was my exact quote."
Gibson: "Exact words."

Gibson: "What insight into Russian actions, particularly in the last couple of weeks, does the proximity of the state give you?"
Palin: "They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."
The Harrowdown Hill: That sounds beautiful. But seriously, what in the hell are you talking about?

Gibson: "Do you agree with the Bush doctrine?"
Palin: "In what respect, Charlie?"
Gibson: "The Bush - well, what do you - what do you interpret it to be?"
Palin: "His world view."
Gibson: "No, the Bush doctrine, enunciated September 2002, before the Iraq War."
The Harrowdown Hill: Why do I have this strange feeling that she doesn't know what the Bush doctrine is?

Gibson: "Color me a cynic but I hear a little bit of change in your policy there. When you say yes, now you're beginning to say [global warming] is man-made. It sounds to me like you're adapting your position to Sen. McCain's."
Palin: "I think you are a cynic because show me where I have ever said that there's absolute proof that nothing that man has ever conducted or engaged in has had any affect, or no affect, on climate change."
The Harrowdown Hill: As you wish. In an interview for this month's issue of the conservative magazine "Newsmax", Palin stated that "A changing environment will affect Alaska more than any other state because of our location. I'm not one though who would attribute it to being man-made."

Gibson: "[Congress] appropriated $223 million, I think, for the [Bridge to Nowhere]. Then they - when the project died, that money was still there. And - and you kept - the State of Alaska kept that money. Is that consistent with the image of a reformer?"
Palin: "It certainly is. Those are infrastructure dollars that a state government and a local government need to figure out how to best prioritize those federal funds." The Harrowdown Hill: Apparently the State of Alaska uses the game of "finders keepers" for the framework of its government.

Gibson: "Governor, this year, requested $3.2 million for researching the genetics of harbor seals, money to study the mating habits of crabs. Isn't that exactly the kind of thing that John McCain is objecting to?"
Palin: "Those requests, through our research divisions and fish and game and our wildlife departments and our universities, those research requests did come through that system, but wanting it to be in the light of day, not behind closed doors, with lobbyists making deals with Congress to stick things in there under the public radar." The Harrowdown Hill: Well, that explains...absolutely nothing.

Gibson: "Roe v. Wade, do you think it should be reversed?"
Palin: "I think it should and I think that states should be able to decide that issue...I am pro-life. I do respect other people's opinion on this also and I think that a culture of life is best for America."
The Harrowdown Hill: OK, let me interrupt for a second. You think that a culture of life is best for America but then you support the death penalty? Now I am all for the death penalty as well but I am just not hypocritical about it. Alright, you may continue.
Gibson: "John McCain would allow abortion in cases of rape and incest. Do you believe in it only in the case where the life of the mother is in danger?"
Palin: "That is my personal opinion."
The Harrowdown Hill: Sorry, me again. Your personal opinion and, therefore, choice is that abortion should only be allowed if the mother is endangered. However, you don't want provide other women with access to those same types of choices. Bravo!

Gibson: "Embryonic stem cell research, John McCain has been supportive of it."
Palin: "We’re seeing good progress and we’ve got great encouragement with researchers finding adult skin cell research that is proving productive towards curing these diseases."
The Harrowdown Hill: WAIT A MINUTE! Did this moron actually say "skin cell"? I listened to the video more than a dozen times to make sure and I can honestly say that she did. Here I come, Canada!

Gibson: "Homosexuality, genetic or learned?"
Palin: "Oh, I don't - I don't know but I'm not one to judge and, you know, I'm from a family and from a community with many, many members of many diverse backgrounds and I'm not going to judge someone on whether they believe that homosexuality is a choice or genetic. I'm not going to judge them."
The Harrowdown Hill: Did you previously suffer some sort of head trauma?

Gibson: "Is it sexist for people to ask how can somebody manage a family of seven and the vice presidency? Is that a sexist question to ask?"
Palin: "I don't know. I'm lucky to have been brought up in a family where gender has never been an issue...What people have asked me when I was -- when I learned I was pregnant, 'Gosh, how are you going to be the governor and have a baby in office too', and I replied back then, as I would today, 'I'll do it the same way the other governors have done it when they've either had baby in office or raised a family'. Granted, they're men but do it the same way that they do it."
The Harrowdown Hill: Is she actually trying to say that there is no difference between a working mother and a working father?

No comments: