Friday, April 2, 2010

I'm Scared of Islands Now

At a recent hearing before the House Armed Services Committee, Admiral Robert Willard, the Commander of the U.S. Pacific Command, provided testimony in regards to his command's FY 2011 budget. When the discussion focused on the plans to transfer thousands of U.S. troops from Okinawa, Japan to Guam, Willard was present for possibly the strangest comment he has heard during his 40+ year military career.

This unbelievable remark concerning Guam was uttered by Rep. Henry Johnson (R-GA):

Johnson: "This is an island that, at its widest level is, what, twelve miles from shore to shore? And at its smallest level or smallest location, it's seven miles between one shore and the other. Is that correct?"
Willard: "I don't have the exact dimensions but, to your point, sir, I think Guam is a small island."
Johnson: "Very small island and about twenty-four miles, if I recall, long. So twenty-four miles long, about seven miles wide at the least widest place on the island and about twelve miles wide on the widest part of the island. And I don't know how many square miles that is. Do you happen to know?"
Willard: "I don't have that figure with me, sir. I can certainly supply it to you if you'd like."
Johnson: "Yeah, my fear is that the whole island will become so overly populated that it will tip over and capsize."

Yes, you read that right. Now I understand that Johnson has been experiencing numerous health issues (including cognitive) due to his long battle with hepatitis C. However, the last sentence of this exchange between Johnson and Willard is a little disconcerting, illness or not. With that being said, Johnson has already proven himself to be much better than his predecessor, Rep. Cynthia McKinney (D-GA), who is famous for striking a U.S. Capitol Police officer and claiming that Mr. Bush and his administration had prior knowledge of the 9/11 attacks.

No comments: