Saturday, January 17, 2009

Don't Let the Door Hit You

Hopefully this will be my very last posting on Mr. Bush. (However, with what we have seen from him and his administration over the last 8+ years, I highly doubt it.) Earlier this week, Mr. Bush thankfully conducted the final press conference of his administration. Although he admitted to certain mistakes (not the ones he should have), he primarily defended his stances and policies. The following excerpts from Mr. Bush's press conference clearly define his complete arrogance and his total lack of remorse. I have included some of my comments as well.

Bush: "Through it all, it's been -- I have respected you. Sometimes didn't like the stories that you wrote or reported on. Sometimes you misunderestimated me."

Bush: "The problem with the outcome of the initial round of the debate was that some people said, well, Republicans don't like immigrants. Now that may be fair or unfair but that's what -- that's the image that came out."
The Harrowdown Hill: If the image is fair, are you saying that Republicans actually don't like immigrants?

Bush: "Look, there's plenty of critics in this business; I understand that. And I thank you for giving me a chance to defend a record that I am going to continue to defend because I think it's a good, strong record."
The Harrowdown Hill: The role of President of the United States is not a business. The position requires the office holder to protect the citizens of this country. You, on the other hand, have consistently turned your back on so many people in need.

Bush: "I view those who get angry and yell and say bad things and, you know, all that kind of stuff, it's just a very few people in the country. I don't know why they get angry. I don't know why they get hostile."
The Harrowdown Hill: I'm not sure which is more frustrating: the fact that you think that there is only a small amount of individuals who vehemently disagree with you and your actions or that you don't know why we are so angry and hostile. Keep reading and find out.

Bush: "I have often said that history will look back and determine that which could have been done better or, you know, mistakes I made. Clearly putting a 'Mission Accomplished' on a aircraft carrier was a mistake. It sent the wrong message. We were trying to say something differently but, nevertheless, it conveyed a different message. Obviously, some of my rhetoric has been a mistake."
The Harrowdown Hill: Really? Out of everything inherently wrong with the Iraq War, the fact that you hung that ridiculous banner 2,079 days ago was the only error you feel you have made throughout our occupation in the Middle East. How about the lies and false information you and your administration used to justify the invasion of Iraq, the failure to secure weapons depots throughout Iraq, the inability to secure Iraq following the invasion, the lack of appropriate body armor and armored vehicles for the troops, your inadequate planning and administration of post-invasion Iraq, your torture and rendition practices (including at Abu Ghraib prison), your illegal detention of numerous suspects at Guantanamo Bay, your abuse of the USA PATRIOT Act, the mismanagement of the terrorist watch lists, the poor regulation of U.S. contractors in the Middle East, your failure to capture Osama bin Laden, the resurgence of the Taliban in Afghanistan, etc.

Bush: "I've thought long and hard about Katrina -- you know, could I have done something differently, like land Air Force One either in New Orleans or Baton Rouge? The problem with that and -- is that law enforcement would have been pulled away from the mission. And then your questions, I suspect, would have been, how could you possibly have flown Air Force One into Baton Rouge and police officers that were needed to expedite traffic out of New Orleans were taken off the task to look after you?"
The Harrowdown Hill: YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! After "thinking" long and hard about the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, all you can come up with is that you should have possibly landed your airplane in Louisiana instead of just flying over it on your way home. Take some time to think long and hard about these: (1) You named the former Judges and Stewards Commissioner for the International Arabian Horse Association as the Director of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, (2) even before the hurricane made landfall, you received warnings about the size of the storm and the strong probability for levee breaches and you did nothing, (3) you abandoned thousands of U.S. citizens at the Louisiana Superdome and the New Orleans Morial Convention Center and then (4) you persisted in blaming state and local officials for the poor relief efforts. If you need more examples, trust me, I've got them.

Bush: "There have been disappointments. Abu Ghraib obviously was a huge disappointment during the presidency. Not having weapons of mass destruction was a significant disappointment. I don't know if you want to call those mistakes or not, but they were -- things didn't go according to plan, let's put it that way."
The Harrowdown Hill: Well, aw shucks. You're right--that whole weapons of mass destruction thing sure was a real pisser. However, I'm pretty sure that the families of the 4,229 Americans who have died in Iraq may not see it that way, especially since those weapons were supposedly your main reason for invading Iraq.

Bush: "I guess I could have been popular by accepting Kyoto, which I felt was a flawed treaty, and proposed something different and more constructive."
The Harrowdown Hill: Yeah but you didn't. And maybe not ratifying the Kyoto Protocol was a smart idea. I mean, only 183 other nations have done so. It's not like it is 184.

Bush: "In terms of the decisions that I had made to protect the homeland, I wouldn't worry about popularity. What I would worry about is the Constitution of the United States."
The Harrowdown Hill: I would have to say that the PATRIOT Act tends to differ with you a little bit.

Bush: "Even in the darkest moments of Iraq, you know, there was -- and every day when I was reading the reports about soldiers losing their lives, no question there was a lot of emotion but also there was times where we could be light hearted and support each other."
The Harrowdown Hill: How you even have the balls to make a comment like that is beyond me. Yes, let's have a party each day that an American loses his or her life in the Middle East. And the relatives of those who died get to choose the type of cake.

Bush: "Don't tell me the federal response [after Hurricane Katrina] was slow when there was thirty thousand people pulled off roofs right after the storm passed. I remember going to see those helicopter drivers, Coast Guard drivers, to thank them for their courageous efforts to rescue people off roofs. Thirty thousand people were pulled off roofs right after the storm moved through. It's a pretty quick response."
The Harrowdown Hill: The problem with that, you moron, is thousands and thousands of those rescued were taken to the convention center. And then those thousands and thousands of individuals were amazingly deserted for days by you and your administration. I am sure they appreciate being thrown from the frying pan into the fire.

Bush (in response to a question about his plans for the near future): "I'm a Type A personality, you know, I just -- I just can't envision myself, you know, the big straw hat and Hawaiian shirt sitting on some beach."
The Harrowdown Hill: No, that doesn't sound like you at all. Well, except for the fact that, as of August 2008, you had spent more than 915 vacation days at either Camp David or your ranch in Crawford, TX. As you can imagine, that 2.5+ years of vacation time is completely offensive to the twenty-five percent of the U.S workforce who do not receive holiday or vacation pay.

No comments: